Black and white photograph of two West Publishing Company employees, c.1967.

Two West Publishing Company employees

Two West Publishing Company employees, c.1967.

Black and white photograph of the West Publishing complex seen from the Mississippi River, 1955.

West Publishing complex seen from the Mississippi River

The West Publishing complex seen from the Mississippi River, 1955.

Black and white photograph of West Publishing Company editorial offices, c.1920s.

West Publishing Company editorial offices

West Publishing Company editorial offices, c.1920s.

Black and white photograph of West Publishing Company employees, St. Paul Winter Carnival, 1916.

West Publishing Company employees, St. Paul Winter Carnival

West Publishing Company employees, St. Paul Winter Carnival, 1916.

Black and white photograph of typesetting with Linotype machines at West Publishing Company, 1917.

Typesetting with Linotype machines at West Publishing Company

Typesetting with Linotype machines at West Publishing Company, 1917.

Black and white photograph of typesetters at West Publishing Company before the introduction of Linotype machines, 1885.

West Publishing typesetters

Typesetters at West Publishing Company before the introduction of Linotype machines, 1885.

Black and white photograph of the new West Publishing Company campus and headquarters in Eagan, 1992.

New West Publishing Company campus and headquarters in Eagan

New West Publishing Company campus and headquarters in Eagan, 1992.

Black and white photograph of West Publishing Company headquarters on West Third Street (later Kellogg Boulevard) in St. Paul, 1915.

West Publishing headquarters

West Publishing Company headquarters on West Third Street (later Kellogg Boulevard) in St. Paul, 1915.

West Publishing Company

The nation’s most innovative and most successful law-book-publishing company operated in downtown St. Paul from 1876 until 1992, when it moved to Eagan. In 1876, West Publishing Company began publishing Minnesota State Supreme Court opinions; by 1887, its “reporter” system covered the whole country. In 1908, West introduced an indexing system for all American law. In 1975, it introduced Westlaw, a computerized legal research system. The company was sold to Thomson Reuters in 1996.

Color image of the exterior of Mercado Central, a cooperatively owned market featuring forty-five Latino-owned businesses at 1515 East Lake Street in Minneapolis, February 20, 2016. Photographed by Lizzie Ehrenhalt.

Mercado Central

Exterior of Mercado Central, a cooperatively owned market featuring forty-five Latino-owned businesses at 1515 East Lake Street in Minneapolis, February 20, 2016. Photographed by Lizzie Ehrenhalt.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Business and Industry