Black and white photograph of the first capitol building, ca. 1873.

First capitol building

First capitol building, ca. 1873.

Illustration of the first State Capitol, Tenth and Wabasha, St. Paul, 1875, showing the 1873 addition. From, Harper's Monthly, October 1875, p. 629.

First State Capitol, Tenth and Wabasha

First State Capitol, Tenth and Wabasha, St. Paul, 1875, showing the 1873 addition. From, Harper's Monthly, October 1875, p. 629.

Minnesota's First State Capitol

Minnesota became a U.S. territory on March 3, 1849. After much debate, the new territorial government chose St. Paul as the permanent capital city. The first capitol building was completed in 1853 and served as the seat of Minnesota's territorial and early state government until it burned in 1881.

Color image of the Banfill Tavern/Locke House, 1989.

Banfill Tavern/Locke House

Banfill Tavern/Locke House, 1989.

Black and white photograph of the south face of the Banfill Tavern–Locke House showing 1852 addition, 1978.

Banfill Tavern–Locke House showing 1852 addition

South face of the Banfill Tavern–Locke House showing 1852 addition, 1978.

Black and white photograph of the southeast face of the Banfill Tavern–Locke House, 1978.

Southeast face of the Banfill Tavern–Locke House

Southeast face of the Banfill Tavern–Locke House, 1978.

Black and white photograph of the north face of the Banfill Tavern/Locke House, 1978.

North face of the Banfill Tavern/Locke House

North face of the Banfill Tavern/Locke House, 1978.

Black and white photograph of the exterior of the Banfill Tavern–Locke House on 6666 East River Road in Fridley, 1977.

Banfill Tavern–Locke House

Exterior of the Banfill Tavern–Locke House on 6666 East River Road in Fridley, 1977.

Color image of the Banfill Tavern, now Banfill-Locke Center for the Arts, 2013. Photographed by Wikimedia Commons user McGhiever.

Banfill Tavern

The Banfill Tavern, now Banfill-Locke Center for the Arts, 2013. Photographed by Wikimedia Commons user McGhiever.

Banfill–Locke House

The Banfill–Locke House in Anoka County stands on the east bank of the Mississippi River, just outside of downtown Fridley. The property has been used as many things since its original construction in the 1840s, including a tavern, a dairy farm, a private home, and an art gallery. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Architecture